The Alliance of Bioversity International and the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) provide research-based solutions that harness agricultural biodiversity and sustainably transform food systems to improve people’s lives. The Alliance’s solutions respond to the global crises of malnutrition, climate change, biodiversity loss and environmental degradation.
Through new partnerships, the Alliance is generating evidence and integrating innovations to transform food systems and landscapes so they sustain the planet, drive prosperity and feed people in a climate crisis. The Alliance is part of the CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future.
Through the development of CGIAR FOCUS Climate Security, the CGIAR aims to unpack the links – and fill the knowledge gaps – regarding the relationship between climate change and food security in order to leverage the expertise of the CGIAR for peace and security outcomes. Using a multidisciplinary methodological approach, our main objective is to generate and align science and evidence of climate-sensitive climate, land, food and water systems with ongoing efforts to address climate security, stability and socio-political peace in the areas of policy, programming and finance.
About the position
CGIAR FOCUS Climate Security is looking for a very talented Senior Economist with a solid experience in quantitative analyzes to conduct economic and econometric analyzes within the Evidence 4 Climate Security search area. This area of research aims to understand the complexity of climate and security for informed, gender-sensitive and socially equitable decision-making. It will help decompose the main impact pathways that connect climate, agriculture and security in different geographies to enrich our knowledge of the complex, context-specific, socially variable and dynamic pathways through which climate affects risk. of conflict.
- Lead economic and econometric analyzes to quantify the indirect impact of climate on conflict.
- Lead the conceptual and theoretical development of innovative approaches to quantify the indirect effect of climate extremes and variability on conflict, by exacerbating existing socio-economic risks and insecurities, such as food and nutrition insecurity, inequalities, forced displacement, migration, etc.
- Oversee and support ongoing economic and econometric analysis workflows under CGIAR FOCUS research initiatives on climate security
- Support the global deployment of climate security research.
- Support global and regional partnerships by managing and developing institutional relationships and joint initiatives with selected country and regional offices
- Communication and collaboration with the development economics, econometrics and impact evaluation communities, as well as with policy makers from relevant national and regional institutions and bodies
- Design, conduct, write and disseminate high quality research and communicate research results through research papers, journal articles, reports, policy briefs and other materials
- Support scientific/proposal writing, reporting and fundraising
- Supervise and collaborate with research assistants, junior researchers, research assistants, visiting researchers and/or students
- Report/communication to supervisor and donors and discovery/response to tender processes
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A Ph.D. in Economics, Development Economics, Statistics and Related Fields
- At least 5 years of experience in leading economic research, using large-scale socio-economic datasets such as LSMS and DHS
- International research experience for applied research and development programs
- Experience in international and multicultural contexts and in interacting with researchers, policy makers, donors and civil society in a wide range of contexts
- Proficiency in the use of STATA, R and/or Phyton
- Proficiency in processing high-resolution climate data for econometric analysis
- Extensive experience in field work and data collection
- Experience in conducting cost-benefit analyzes is desirable
- A register of publications proportional to the duration of work in research
- Proven ability to work and deliver when leading teams
- Ease of working in English and/or French both orally and in writing, fluency in the language being an advantage.
- Excellent report writing, communication and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural, team-oriented environment
- Strong conceptual thinking to develop innovative research approaches
Terms of employment
This is an internationally recruited position and will be based either Nairobi (Kenya), Pretoria (South Africa), Cairo (Egypt) or Dakar (Senegal). (Please note that preference will be given to Pretoria and Cairo where possible). The initial contract will be for two (2) years, subject to a trial period of six (6) months, and is renewable based on performance and availability. This is a position at level BG10, on a scale of 14 levels, with BG14 being the highest.
The Bioversity Alliance and CIAT offer a multicultural and collegial research environment with a competitive salary and excellent benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer and strive to ensure gender, diversity and inclusion within our workforce, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status or any other characteristic.
How to register
Please apply online through the website (https://alliancebioversityciat.org/careers) not later than September 23, 2022, attaching a cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position above against the qualifications, skills and abilities listed, and a detailed curriculum vitae, including the names and contact details of three references familiar with your professional qualifications and work experience. work. Both documents in English. Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for submitting applications: September 23, 2022
Please note that email applications will not be considered.
Only selected candidates will be contacted
We invite you to learn more about us at: http://alliancebioversityciat.org